Friday, January 23, 2015

Meeting old friends

I hate it when I close the cover on a book and sigh. There goes my friends, off into the world of fiction, and I am left with the eternal question, What happens next? Whether it be Mr, Darcy, Lord Peter, Inspector Gamache, I always have the letdown.
So, it was with much pleasure that I was able to reconnect with Joshua Martin, of Gabriel's Landing, and continue with the story of his remarkable family. Don't You Marry the Mormon Boys, the initial novel in the series introduced us to Joshua, his wives, Sarah and Rachel, and daughter Louisa. We shared both the laughter and tears as a family that was so isolated from the rest of the world, comes to deal with life in the 21st century. Who can forget the hilarious scene where the kidnappers of the twins try to connect with the family to connect the ransom, not knowing that every block in Salt Lake City has its chapel and there is more than one bishop in the Mormon Church.
Our heroine is Zina, a younger child, who leaves the desert town and all of its prohibitions and rules, and finds herself learning about the kindness of strangers and the meanness of others. It takes us to Chicago, Minneapolis, Hawthorne Valley, Salt Lake City, and finally returns to Gabriel's Landing.

Zina learns so much about life, but most important, she learns about love and reconciliation and forgiveness. We find that she turns into a loving and wise woman as she discovers her strengths and talents, While cooking at home was a time to feed all her father's children, it leads her into a way to survive and share her life with others. 
I am not going to say much more about her journey, but I am so glad to meet another endearing character who is a part of Joshua's family. It is well worth the read. This is a kind of book you read late into the night because you have to know what happens next to these endearing characters. This is what makes or breaks a book for me: Do I like these people? What makes them so interesting? and, of course, What happens next? 
I am left with only one question, as I put down the book, "What happens to Amy?" With polygamy, there is always another child, another story.
Are we due for another sequel, Ms Jensen?


No comments:

Post a Comment